Wednesday, March 2, 2011

God Moments...Life Moments...Memories I'll Keep

Day 3: February 8, 2011
St. Michaels Catholic Church
Mexico

There are tender moments that each of us have in our lives.  These moments are so cherished that we sometimes wish to recapture them, place them in a box, and tuck them away for safekeeping.  In my lifetime, I have been blessed with many such moments.  As I get older, I try to stop myself in the midst of these moments to take them in. Life is so fast and moments like this come and go quickly...

Throughout our journey, we had moments of panic and confusion, fun and adventure...but more importantly, we had moments of laughter and joy.  In the midst of our joy was a special moment that I will keep with me always.

As we strolled the streets of Cozumel, we came across a beautiful Catholic Church.  It was truly amazing to see so many locals making their way in and out of the church on a Tuesday afternoon.  This was rare to me and not something I see much of at home.  Business owners, laborers and the common public...stopping in the middle of their busy day to pay homage to our Lord.

As we made our way through the church, looking at all the artifacts and taking in our surroundings, the three of us made our way to a pew to pray a Rosary.  Over the past few months, I've prayed many Rosaries; But it was always done by myself and in the privacy of my home.  There was something very special about being in Mexico with my mother and sister...the three of us praying a Rosary together in this sacred place.  This was a God moment...life moment...memory I'll keep.

My mother turned 60 the following day. With each passing year I become more and more aware that she will not always be here with us. I know that at times I take her for granted but I love her dearly.  When I find myself in the midst of my own struggles and I begin questioning God or my purpose, I think of my mom. Beginning with her childhood, she has lived a life full of struggles.  God has given her many crosses to bear and continues to do so. Regardless of the circumstance she finds herself in, she has always been obedient to God and her faith.  If there is only one life lesson I wish to retain, I pray for the obedience and tireless faith of my mother.

Happy Birthday, Mom...May God Keep You Always!!


Hail holy Queen, Mother of Mercy.
Our life, our sweetness and our hope.
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve,
To thee do we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this valley of tears.
Turn, then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy towards us;
And after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb Jesus;  O Clement, O Loving, O Sweet Virgin Mary.
Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

1 comment: