Friday, December 10, 2010

The Bare Minimum


I used to be one of those Catholics who thought I didn't have to go to Mass to be Catholic.  I thought as long as I was a good person, that was enough.  I wasn't out killing or stealing so surely God would take notice.  Surely He was giving me credit up in heaven!

I had the "Bare Minimum Mentality"...what's the least I can do and still get to heaven?  What is the least I can do and maintain a somewhat reasonable life.  And for the most part, I fooled myself into thinking this was perfectly fine.  I had countless discussions with family and friends about how there was nothing wrong with not going to church.  One problem.  That's not a relationship.  A relationship requires a commitment.  It required me showing up.  And not just physically showing up, but spiritually showing up.

Isn't it funny...God gave us Ten Commandments...and He dedicated an entire commandment to going to church - Keep Holy The Sabbath.  And yet we humans love to twist & conform this commandment into what WE want it to mean. We find ourselves saying things like, "I can pray at home" or "I can be a spiritual person without going to church".  With all due respect, I would bet 99.9% of people who go to church a few times a year are as spiritually connected to Jesus as I am to Brad Pitt.  I have never met Brad Pitt.

To be in a relationship with Jesus means you have to be committed.  Some of us may not know or understand how to get to that point.  A year ago, I did not understand nor did I think I was capable of it.  I viewed having a relationship with Jesus the same way I viewed climbing Mt. Everst...as a long and difficult journey...a journey that I wasn't prepared to make.  But my willingness to open my heart (just a little) was all He needed to work with.  He used that small crack and began diligently chipping away.  What started off as a inhabitable mountain was soon transformed into a suitable pathway.

Let us NOT show up every Sunday and fool ourselves into thinking we are "Keeping Holy The Sabbath".  And let us NOT skip Church altogether.  Instead, let us be aware of that small crack in our hearts and ask God to work in it.  Let us Keep Holy The Sabbath by making the decision to have a personal relationship with Christ.  Let us Keep Holy The Sabath by knowing and loving Him, just like we know and love our families.  And lastly, let us Keep Holy The Sabbath by allowing that love to overflow in all aspects of our lives!

“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and He saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the story. I realize that I need to step it up notch.

    ReplyDelete