Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Road Well Traveled

Over the past few months, several people have asked what led to the drastic change in my attitude towards being a Catholic Christian. Explaining how God works in our hearts is very difficult, as it is one of the many mysteries of faith.  As much as I wish there were a road map to follow, there is not.  Each one of our experiences are different.  Where I made a left turn, you may be called to turn right.  Where I went over the hill and through the woods, you may find that no hill exists.  What I can tell you is this: I now have an awareness that a heavenly entity exists.  It exists in a way that I am unable to wrap my human mind around.  This awareness did not happen with one book or one sermon and it did not happen over night.  It happened at the pace and in the way God willed it. 

I believe that each of us are destined to have an intimate relationship with God, if only we shall seek Him. Our knock will indeed be answered by Him, but it will be answered in a manner as unique as our fingerprints.  As He continues to answer my knocks, I am left feeling his pure and utter love for me.  In much the same way a parent loves each of their children equally but differently, I suspect that holds true in God's love for us.

Being aware of His presence is not necessarily about having the right answers...I believe its about asking the right questions.  It's about waking from a deep slumber that so many of us find ourselves in.  Many times I do not get the answer to my questions, however, I am not discouraged. God answers us in His own time and in His own way.  There is a time and place for all things.

An author I admire is often heard making the following statement: "If you want to be a good golfer, study Tiger Woods. If you are a college basketball player and dream of the NBA, study Michael Jordan.  If you strive to be a world renowned surgeon, study great surgeons.  Whoever you strive to be in your life, study the great men & women who traveled the road before you".  In my lifetime, this has been the best advice I have ever received.  The saints are true examples of some of the greatest people who have traveled the road before me.  My goal in life is to seek God and I pray that I have the strength and courage to do His will.  When I read their stories, I read the stories of men and women who were truly close to God and I am inspired.  I read their stories of struggle, hope, love and peace.  It is a bit comforting to know that the people closest to God were just as human as you and I.  At times, they had struggles discerning God's grace but they were not discouraged and they did not give up.

Below are a few examples of the dynamic material that helped to rouse me from my sleep.  Each story I heard was both encouraging and brilliant. For me, it marked the beginning of asking the questions that led to discerning God's grace.  I pray these stories will do the same for you! (I've also uploaded a few of the talks to the right of this blog if you'd like to listen to them now).

These are easy to download to your ipod or burn to a CD and they are guaranteed to make your next travel experience an amazing journey!

Rediscovering Catholicism - Matthew Kelly (Books)
A Call To Joy - Matthew Kelly (MP3/Audio CD)
Why A Protestant Pastor Became Catholic - Dr. Scott Hahn (MP3/Audio CD)
Confessions - Father Larry Richards (MP3/Audio CD)
The Mass Explained - Father Larry Richards (MP3/Audio CD)
The Healing Power Of Confession - Dr. Scott Hahn (MP3/Audio CD)
Rebuilding The Christian Civilization - Dr. Scott Hahn (MP3/Audio CD)

http://www.lighthousecatholicmedia.org/ is a great source for more talks!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to post the talks. I really enjoyed listening to the recordings. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an amazing writer! Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful articles!

    ReplyDelete